Following the COVID-19 layoff, the Middletown Senior Center is expected to reopen Monday, May 17 for normal hours of operation weekdays from 9 am-4 pm.
COVID-19 protocols will be in place throughout.
Masks must be worn at all times. Six foot distancing required.
See the May 2021 Newsletter for all participation guidelines.
Note: The Home Delivered Lunch Program ends on Friday, April 23.
To provide a focal point for all citizens in the community over 55. To come together for education, socialization, exercises recreation, health services and information. Continually extend, provide and inform our seniors to what may be beneficial to them. Increase the number of seniors and disabled senior citizens attending the meal site program. Offer more programs that would integrate seniors with community youth in various activities. To work vigorously with community agencies such as the Visiting Nurses of Newport and Bristol Counties, Newport County Mental Health services outpatient, Newport County Resource Center, Child and Family Services, etc. To introduce and inform the senior population throughout the area, to services offered within the center, as well as the variety of programs to the seniors presently utilizing the center.
Supportive Community Environment
Our population is aging and is reflected in the Middletown community as well as the senior population throughout the county. We understand with the demographic shift, the needs of all senior communities are changing.
- Seniors are recognized as a valuable asset
- Seniors are treated respectfully and with dignity
- Seniors have the opportunity to contribute and expand their talents and knowledge
- Seniors of all economic circumstances are served
- Seniors strengthen our community and benefit personally by their involvement
The Middletown Senior Center is an awesome place for seniors to keep growing, learning, laughing, enjoying friendships and connecting with the community.
We are committed to enriching the lives of older adults by empowering SELF-CONFIDENCE and encouraging INDEPENDENCE. We offer a very active calendar full of a variety of programs and events.
Our fitness and wellness programs focus on all dimensions of wellness -- emotional, spiritual, intellectual, social and physical wellbeing. Classes include:
- Strength training
- Tai Chi
- Zumba Gold (Dance Fitness)
- Walking Path
- Fitness equipment
We realize and stress the importance of enrichment and activity as critical for our older adult population. With that in mind, we offer a wide variety of programs for all interests and abilities including:
- Art (Water Colors)
- Book Club
- Intergenerational Programs
- Vocal & Instrumental musical experiences
- Educational & Informational presentations
- Special Events
- Bingo, Canasta, Pokeno, Cribbage & Bridge
- MSC Lending Library
To assist our older adult population engage fully in the community, we offer a range of opportunities touching all aspects of life:
- Meal Site (Suggested donation $3)
- Transportation (To & from the Senior Center, weekly shopping, banking & pharmacy)
- Energy & Food Assistance programs (Through East Bay Community Action Program)
- AARP Driving course
- Medicare & Health Insurance (S.H.I.P.)
- Flu Clinic
- Blood Pressure Clinic (First & Second Tuesday of each month)
- MSC & other volunteer opportunities
- Thrift Shop