VIN Checks will be done Monday 9 am till 1 pm. All VIN checks will be appointment only.
Make an Appointment
VIN Check appointments can be made via telephone during normal VIN check hours by calling 401-846-1144, ext. 1715.
All VIN Checks will be performed by appointment only. No walk-ins will be accepted. The lobby of the police station will remain closed to non-emergency matters. Anyone who arrives for a VIN check will be asked to remain in their vehicle and wait for VIN Check personnel to approach them.
VIN Check appointments can be made via telephone only by calling 401-846-1144, ext. 1715. VIN Check appointments can be made for Mondays ONLY between 9 am and 1 pm.
Anyone arriving for a VIN Check must wear a face mask and bring their own pen.
Due to the Governor's orders, only Rhode Island residents will be allowed to make an appointment.
When arriving for the VIN Check, please have the following:
- Current Vehicle Mileage at time of Vin check
- Driver's License
- Out of state Title Certificate or Valid Registration (If there's a lien on the vehicle, a copy of the title may be obtained from the lien holder)
- Proof of Rhode Island residence with current address
- Service Fee: exact cash - $10 for Middletown residents and $20 for all other residents. If paying with a check make it payable to the Middletown Police Department. Make sure your current address and phone number are written on it.
VIN Check Fee Change
Effective October 1, 2018 VIN checks for Middletown Residents will be $10. All other VIN checks will be increased to $20.
Vehicle Identification Number or VIN Checks
Any vehicle purchased outside the state of Rhode Island which is a 2001 model, or newer, must have a VIN Check completed before registering the vehicle. We perform the VIN Check service for all RI residents who need one.
The Middletown Police Department provides this service on Mondays ONLY from 9 am until 1 pm The VIN Checks are done at the Middletown Police Department located at 123 Valley Road. The cost for the service is $10 for residents of Middletown and $20 for all others and is payable by cash or check. Credit cards are not accepted.
You will need the following items to complete the VIN Check:
- Bill of Sale
- A check or cash
- Title certificate or registration
- The vehicle
- Your driver's license