Make an Appointment
VIN Check appointments can be made via telephone during normal VIN check hours by calling 401-846-1144, ext. 1715.
VIN Checks will resume regular hours of operation effective August 30, 2021.
Mondays: 9 AM to 1 PM This is a local (Middletown) Dealership Day
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays: 9 AM to 3 PM
All VIN Checks will be performed by appointment only.
Anyone arriving for a VIN Check who hasn’t been vaccinated must wear a facemask. All customers must bring their own pen.
When arriving for the VIN Check, please have the following:
- Current Vehicle Mileage at time of Vin check
- Driver's License
- Out of state Title Certificate or Valid Registration (If there's a lien on the vehicle, a copy of the title may be obtained from the lien holder)
- Proof of Rhode Island residence with current address
- Service Fee: exact cash - $10 for Middletown residents and $20 for all other residents. If paying with a check make it payable to the Middletown Police Department. Make sure your current address and phone number are written on it.
VIN Check Fee
The VIN Checks are done at the Middletown Police Department located at 123 Valley Road. The cost for the service is $10 for Middletown residents and $20 for all other Rhode Island residents. Middletown businesses pay $20.
The fee is payable by cash or check. Credit or Debit cards are not accepted. If paying with a check, make it payable to the ‘Middletown Police Department’. Make sure your current address and phone number are written on it.
Vehicle Identification Number or VIN Checks
Any vehicle, 2001 model or newer, with a title outside the state of Rhode Island must have a VIN Check completed before registering the vehicle with DMV. We perform this service for all RI residents.
Please have the following ready for the VIN Check:
- The vehicle
- Current Vehicle Mileage at time of VIN check
- Driver's License
- Out of state Title Certificate or Valid Registration (Non-Expired) – If there's a lien on the vehicle, a copy of the title may be obtained from the lien holder
- Proof of Rhode Island residence with current address (electric/gas bill, etc.)
- Service Fee